Friday, November 2, 2012

NaNoWriMo

That time of year has rolled around, as many writers know: National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). This is my first year participating, and I must say I'm finding it rather fun. 

For those of you who don't know what it's about, here's a basic run down:
During the month of November, participants such as my self write as many words per day to reach the goal: 30 000 or 50 000 words. I wasn't even aware we could change it, and I wanted to really challenge myself, so I'm sticking with the 50 000 words. It also has to be on something new, not something we've already started. So I've decided to give life to a flash fiction/story outline I wrote a couple weeks ago. Two days in, and as you may see up the top left corner, I'm already 10 003 words in. I'm quite pleased with these efforts, considering the minimum I would have to be at by now to finish on time is 3 334, a third of what I have. I have the goal of reaching 15 000 words tomorrow to get well and truly ahead, since Sunday is a family barbecue, and Monday-Wednesday will be taken up with study and grocery shopping (though I will try to write the daily minimum those afternoons if I can concentrate). So all goes to plan, I should be half way by this time next week, with three weeks to spare. I'd love to be able to get well ahead with two major essays looming right at the end of the month. 
If only it was NaNoWriMo every month, the time limit is kicking my muse in to gear to actually write for once!
For anyone interested in keeping track of my progress, I'll be updating on the NaNo site everyday that I write, which automatically updates the widget on here. As for other participants, I'm happy for more writing buddies, so feel free to find me on there, Phoenix Johnson. Enjoy the challenge, and I look forward to being able to get Persephone submitted by early December!
~Phoenix